(Thank you, Mallena, for this beautiful picture you captured when you came to visit!)
As many of you know, when Dan and I went to the hospital, we still hadn't agreed on a name. He liked Payton and I liked Macey. We were wondering if it was going to come down to a delivery room battle. He was hoping I would be too tired to care, and I was hoping the "Look what I just went through!" card would trump everything. However, as soon as we saw our little girl we both knew she didn't look anything like a Macey or a Payton. We were suddenly back at square one. Since Dan had to be at school every day, we just had the evenings to frantically brainstorm new ideas. Poor thing was Baby Girl True for most of her time in the hospital.
When everything else failed, Dan decided to start going through names that have to do with one of his favorite things-- snowboarding. We went through ski resort names, like Aspen and Brighton, then, getting desperate, moved on to snowboarding gear. That's when Dan thought of Oakley. As soon as he said it he knew it was perfect. I was thrilled! Oakley has always been one of my absolute favorite names, but I had never mentioned it because I already knew a couple of people named Oakley. However, when Dan loved it so much I didn't care anymore. I was just amazed that we had come up with a name we both loved.
It took a little adjusting, after thinking of her as Macey/Payton for so long (Dan actually slipped and called her Payton this morning) but my mom and sister immediately agreed that she looks like an Oakley. And I am so happy we didn't have to argue over our Baby Girl's name.
Oh, Hello!
9 years ago
7 comments:
I love hearing the details of the story. I'm glad the name came without a fight too!
You two are hilarious! Thank you for writing this, just this morning I was trying to remember what the name was that I voted for, Aspen, but I still love Oakley. I think I need to come see her again before I agree if she's truly an Oakley. I haven't seen her yet with her new name. :) Oh, and in all fairness, Emily took the picture using MY camera. That's why it looks so good. :) Oh, bot because of the camera, because of the photographer.
Oakley fits her perfect!! What a cute name! I really like it, and what a great story behind the name. Now everytime I go skiing using my Oakley gear, I will always think of your darling little girl!
Isn't it funny how things work out! I love the name too. It was my favorite out of the list you read at the hospital. You say you know a couple of children named only, but yours is the first little girl I've ever met with the name and I love it!
Isn't it funny how things work out! I love the name too. It was my favorite out of the list you read at the hospital. You say you know a couple of children named only, but yours is the first little girl I've ever met with the name and I love it!
Oops, I re-read my comment and see I referred to Oakley as "only." Ha!!! Obviously a typo. I can't wait until I'm not pregnant anymore and no longer have "pregnancy brain!"
Perfect explanation. I love her name and it suits her well. I can't wait to see you all at church as a little family!
Post a Comment