Thursday, August 30, 2007

New York

While I was at camp, Dan's sister, Vanessa; her husband, Ryan; and their daughter, Aubrey; flew out from Utah. Once I got back, we all took a trip in the Cavie (my car, Dan usually refuses to drive it, but she got us there and back without a single problem, trusty chevy :) to New York. Instead of visiting NYC, we went to the western side of the state: Palmyra and Niagara Falls. The last time I had been was as a kid, so it was fun to go back and see how much everything has changed!

Here we are at the Smith Farm:



I thought this view of the Temple from the Farm was beautiful:



I really loved this picture. On the top of the dresser is a box that Joseph used as a hiding place for the Gold Plates. In front, on the floor, is a beautiful painted rug. Lucy Mack Smith painted rugs similar to this one to decorate the house. Behind the dresser are the walls original to the house. Lucy Mack Smith white washed them herself. To the left of the dresser you can see where the white wash stops. No use in painting an area that will just be covered by a dresser, right? Especially when you are as busy as she must have been. After the Sister guiding us through the home pointed out that spot, one of the other men on the tour with us said, "that unpainted spot right there could be a talk." What a lesson in priorities! Some things in life matter, and some things just don't!





0 comments: