When I was first called as the Ward Camp Director this year, I was a little scared. I had never done it before and didn't quite know what to expect. It kept me busy, but went much more smoothly than I had anticipated. That is, until we got to camp.
You see, I had overestimated the quality of the tents we would be sleeping in. I should have known, seeing as how we were using a BOY Scout camp. What I hadn't realized was that Ward Camp Director is code for Nasty Bug Exterminator.
The most important thing was to convince the girls that the bugs were harmless (otherwise, as one tent did, they will stay up all night with their flashlights on just waiting for the bugs to crawl in). This turned out to be a bit of a challenge for me, since I tend to scream at the sight of anything other than an ant. At Girls' Camp, this would have caused mass panic. So, cringing inside, I put on a brave face for the girls and attempted to appear calm as I removed spiders and other assorted creepy crawlies from their tents.
That night, I hardly slept in my own tent as I choked beneath my sheet on the gallons of bug spray I had applied. Despite the sweltering heat, I made sure not an inch of me was exposed, while my socks remained on my sweating feet to ward off any spiders that might climb beneath my sheets.
Well, I am clearly a baby. However, there was a very brave soul at camp that night, and the next. I figured if she could do it, anyone could. Hardly a week before her due date, our YW President, Kelsey Lawrence, came up to camp with us and made it through the hottest days (and nights) of the week. She slept in the same dirty, bug infested tents as the rest of us and never stopped smiling. Amazing! I also could not have made it without Bonnie and Kendy. Thank you all for coming and being such a help!
Here are Kelsey and our girls all ready for Crazy Hair Night:
Well, that was just the first night. After getting used to the bugs, the dirt, and everything being perpetually damp (including ourselves), we settled in and had a truly incredible experience. There is so much to write, I will have to add another post.
Oh, Hello!
9 years ago
3 comments:
This will prepare you for Motherhood. I too, dread spiders, roaches, and anything creepy and crawly. But showing how brave I am and just catching them myself has it's pay offs. Alyssa, through my example, thinks that creepy crawlies are "no big deal". And now she does the dirty work!
Ahhh....girl's camp! It always seemed to be full of the best and worst moments of the summer:-) Pretending not to be afraid of bugs also helped Samuel to have no fear in the bug department. Upon reflection after he was bitten and stung by a red fire ant he decided to play with, I think it may have been better if he had had at least some fear and trepidation about picking up creepy crawling things, lol.
You are the best for taking on the challenge. I know the girls loved having you there -- they told me so. I am glad you went and didn't freak over the bugs. Sorry I flaked out that night. I really admire how patient you are, your a good example for me. Thats why I like hanging out with ya'.
Post a Comment