Monday, August 27, 2007

It's A Jungle Out There

One of the challenges the girls competed in with Bishop:


Giselle on Crazy Hair Night:


Uriel and Michelle:




The theme at camp this year was "It's A Jungle Out There", which is so appropriate because this world just keeps getting crazier and crazier. Even since I was a teenager (and that was what, all of 4 years ago?) it has become so much harder to find your way out there. But being at camp really touched me, because I was able to see first hand that just as the world gets crazier, our girls are getting stronger.

I was very proud to be from Pennypack, our girls really set an awesome example for me and the rest of camp. They showed up with positive attitudes and were ready to participate in everything. Every time I turned around, they were doing little acts of service for each other, and even us, the leaders! (We had girls cleaning without being asked!) They were really able to develop a strong sense of ward unity, friendship and sisterhood. It touched my heart and strengthened my testimony to be there with them. By the end of the week I didn't want to leave! Our girls are just amazing, they face incredible challenges yet remain so strong.

My favorite night was when Bishop Hilton came up. The entire camp was in the Pavilion listening to our Stake YW President speak, but our girls kept glancing behind them waiting for Bishop's truck to pull up. As soon as it did, they all jumped out of their seats and ran straight out the back to greet him. I tried to quickly explain what was going on, so no one would panic, before running out myself. The girls just loved having Bishop there, and we have to brag that he was the ONLY Bishop out of the entire Stake who was able to recite the whole YW Theme from memory. He is so committed to the youth, and they can tell that he genuinely cares about each one of them. I appreciate Bishop Hilton more than I could ever say, he is truly the father of our ward.

0 comments: