Friday, March 11, 2011

Potty Trained, Crawling and Playing Together



Oakley's been potty trained for over a month now. She was already comfortable with sitting on the potty, but after she spent a day refusing to go anywhere but her diaper, I had her down an entire can of soda, which she was thrilled to do since she never gets it, then I sat her on the potty. We sang songs and read stories for about 30 minutes until she went without even thinking about it. And, it clicked. She's used the potty ever since with only two accidents, neither one in public or in the car. Whew!



Brighton started crawling just in time for her first birthday! We are thrilled. They still can't guarantee she doesn't have CP, but as soon as she masters a new skill, the CP movement patterns associated with that skill that she has been displaying, completely disappear.



The day the girls started truly playing together was one of the best days of my life. The house we're renting, like many of the houses in our area, has the living area upstairs- the kitchen/living/dining room, a bathroom and two bedrooms. So, Brighton gets one room and Oakley gets the master, which doubles as a play room. The girls love to play in there together while I'm able to get some cooking or cleaning done, while still keeping an eye on them.

It's an odd set up, designed to let the developers build houses super close together while still allowing mountain views, but we're learning to make it work for us. It does seem more energy efficient, since the heat rises to the second floor anyway, now it's rising to the part of the house where we spend most of our time. The downside is the fact that you never want to be on the first floor because it's 10-15 degrees colder!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Your girls are simply gorgeous. I love love Oaklyn's hair! Darling :)

Vanessa said...

What?!! Brighton might have CP? What the...???!!! How is it that I am her aunt and don't know any of this stuff? (Maybe if Dan would communicate with his family it would help!!) Lots of prayers and love for your family!

Sierra Parke said...

Way to go Oakley!!! What an easy girl to potty train. That was sweet of her to make the process easy on you too! LOL Brighton looks so big and she resembles Dan a lot to me. Anyone ever say that, or is it just me??? Oh, and little Brighton may have CP? Did the doctor mention that recently? We'll pray for your little sweetheart tonight!

The Lockhart's said...

Your girls are so cute together. How fun for them to each have a sister:-)

Doug and Mallena said...

I can't get over Oakley's hair. It looks so long, thick, and beautiful. Just like her mommy's. I'm so glad she's potty trained, and that Brighton is crawling. I'm sure both achievements are such a relief to you. It's so nice having kids that will play together----usually. :) I'm listening to my girls in the other room right now. It's a wonderful sound. It only gets better as they grow. I'm not sure that will be the same when they're teenagers, but for now it's AWESOME! I've been wanting to call for the past couple of weeks, but since I took up almost your WHOLE day last time, I'm a little hesitant. Let me know if there is ever a good time to give you a ring-a-ling. MISS YOU!!!!