The leaves are changing and there's a chill in the air! The kids started school several weeks ago. It is definitely Fall in Alaska!
This waterfall is right here in Eagle River and it's more of a walk than a hike up to it. So, afterwards we decided to hike down the mountain to the river. Dan and Max could hear all kinds of animals running through the woods around us. I guess I am deaf. We did see some fresh bear scat (that is apparently the word for bear poop). We stopped for a second to look around. Dan turned around and all of a sudden, right in front of us, maybe 20 feet away, a moose comes walking out of the woods, goes right across the trail, then back into the woods. I almost had a heart attack. It was SO big. I didn't want to startle it since they can be pretty dangerous (thank goodness the girls were in the stroller!), so I stayed completely still and didn't say a word until it was out of sight. Dan turned around and all I could say was, "MOOSE! MOOSE!" Poor Dan completely missed it! (And he had the camera so we didn't get a picture.) It is amazing and just a bit scary having wild animals so close to home.
Oh, Hello!
9 years ago


2 comments:
I am just waiting for you guys to come across a bear on the trail. Dan will wet his pants. Do you guys have bear repellant?
All your posts are reminding me we need to get out more. Beautiful place. When I was a kid (maybe 7 years old) we were at Yellowstone for a vacation. One early morning a bunch of us girls went to some hot springs to soak. We were playing around and then all of a sudden a huge moose was walking towards us. It stopped at the edge of the spring, starred at us for a while and then walked off. We were scared to death and ran back to our camp so quickly. Super scary, I can relate.
Post a Comment