Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Times Are Changing

Can you believe it's already September? The weather has been perfect the last few days... crisp, cool, clear skies. It has me so excited for Fall. It's strange to think this will be our last Fall in Philadelphia.

Dan got back from San Francisco this week. He had a great time, but came back exhausted from so many long days. We are so glad to have him back, home just isn't the same without him. We are anxiously waiting to hear what our next adventure will be, and where the future will take us.

Oakley is now a one nap little girl. This is a big change. It makes it much easier to go places during the day since we don't have to worry about getting back until after lunch. But, it means much more of my day is spent planning activities for all that awake time, and much less is spent getting things done.

For the longest time, Oakley showed no interest in the sign language I was trying to teach her. She would get mad when I would try to help her make the motions with her hands. So, I had kind of given up on the idea. Until recently. She started screaming at the top of her lungs anytime she wanted anything, and I figured it was time to revisit signing. She was desperately in need of a way to communicate. Uh-oh, mama and dada just weren't cutting it. Who knows if it was her age, or the junk food I used to motivate her, but it worked! She now signs "up", "more" and "please", which covers what she wants to communicate for now. We're working on adding more words to her vocabulary. If she ever starts to scream, I just ask her, "what do you want?" or "what do you say?" and she will use her signing. The more practice she gets, however, the more she is starting to use signing instead of screaming. Needless to say, all three of us are much happier now.



Today, I was so proud of her. She put "more" and "please" together to make "more, please". And she did it all on her own, without me prompting her at all! She must have really wanted that potato chip.

She hasn't gotten "all done" yet, so she just uses "up" to let me know she wants go get out of her high-chair.

9 comments:

emily a. said...

She's such a smarty pants! There's definitely good and bad things about going to 1 nap. Enjoy have more than 2 hours to do your errands and shopping!

The Lockhart's said...

Don't you just LOVE sign language. She is soooo super cute Linds!!! I'm glad you guys are doing so well.

Shilowe said...

How cute! She really does a good job making those signs look like they're supposed to...I'm impressed!

Patty Sampson said...

I am SO proud of her!! I watched the videos and got SO excited for her new accomplishments! That is HUGE!! Yay Oakley!! I am sure you are so grateful the screaming has stopped. :) I need to do that with our baby too when he can get it. That is SUCH a cool tool!

Doug and Mallena said...

Way to go Oakley! I remember doing this with Miriam, but I didn't get around to it with Shay. I'm glad it's working for you. It's always nice when your kids communicate with you in ways other than screaming.

Kevin, Kelsey and Annalise.... said...

She is so darn cute!! I tried to teach Annalise sign language, but then she started talking instead, plus she would just laugh at me anytime I would try to sign to her, apparently it was pretty funny.

That is so nice to get down to one nap, life can be so much more predictable. I hope we get to see you guys some time soon before Oakley gets too big!

Sierra Parke said...

Interesting about the signing. I'll have to start trying it with Asher. I'm so glad it's working so well for you.

JKThomas said...

Jacob gave me a Baby sign language book but I have never even opened it. Maybe I should though because Oakley is pretty darn cute with her signing!

Heidi said...

AHH!! I love it. She's so dang cute!