Dan's birthday/anniversary/Christmas presents are usually pretty boring. He generally wants something that falls into one of two categories a) something for his XBOX or b) something for his paintball gun. It is always pretty easy for him to guess what I've gotten him. So, he was very confused this year when I came home with a 13 pound gift for him from Williams and Sonoma (the outlet store of course! :)
I had been shopping at the outlet malls in Ohio with my mom when something stopped me dead in my tracks, I couldn't believe it, a molcajeta! I was ecstatic and quickly explained to her that Dan is obsessed with eating salsa and guacamole. Every time we eat at El Vez, his favorite Mexican restaurant in Philly, he points out the molcajeta that they serve the guacamole in. (Which is how I knew to call it a "molcajeta" and not a "grindy thing".) This was no cheap molcajeta either, it was 13 pounds of hand carved Mexican lava rock (gotta love outlet stores!).
I had finally accomplished my goal: Dan was 100% stumped, he had no idea what I had gotten him. Well, once he opened it he was very excited and had to agree that it was pretty much the coolest gift ever. I just had no clue it was going to cause me so much pain! I always let Dan pick out the peppers we use, since he has had lots of experience with them, so I didn't think twice when he chose those beautiful orange peppers you see in the picture, to the left of the molcajeta. He told me they were habaneros, and that sounded just find to me. What he didn't tell me is that they are one of the most intensely spicy peppers you can get, the kind they eat on Fear Factor.
I did question him when he insisted on using multiple peppers and inlcuding ALL the seeds, but I figured this was his present so I'd let him do what he wanted with it. After we finish making the guacamole he took a bite and said, "yummm, not too spicy..." So I figured it was safe. However, as soon as I took a bite, Dan suddenly realized it was much hotter than he first thought. My mouth, throat, stomach and lips immediately started to burn. My face turned red, I started to sweat, my eyes began to tear and my nose started to run. I felt like I was on fire! Unfortunately, this feeling lasted a good 15 minutes, and I continued to feel sick for the rest of the day.
In the end, Dan admitted it was extremely hot. This is really saying something since he is immune to most peppers and chilis after spending two years in Mexico. Later that night, while taking a warm shower, I couldn't figure out why my fingers were burning. By the time I got out I had actual burns on them, as if I had touched the curling iron with each finger. Despite washing my hands immediately after cutting up the peppers, the pepper oils had not come out. Once the oils were combined with the warm water I ended up with burns. Now, I have no idea why anyone would want to eat something that has such side effects, but Dan loved it and ate the entire bowl of guacamole; although, he did pay for it later...
Oh, Hello!
9 years ago
4 comments:
That was hilarious- the comment about Dan paying for the tasty stuff later on. I feel so bad for you! I'd like to come over for some guacamole but please hold the peppers!
You've done a ton of posting and it's great to catch up on all the adventures you've had. I love the pictures of Niagra Falls. I definitely want to go see that!
ouch.....I don't do spicy at all.....you are brave! Cool gift though! When was Dan's birthday? Happy Birthday Dan.
What a great gift Idea! I bet Dan loved it!
I agrea I don't understand how people can handle the extremely spicey stuff, but that's coming from me, who likes everything as mild as it can be.
Now I am craving some quacamole ,but minus the spice!
Post a Comment